“Fight Night at the Majestic” Recap

Updated: April 28, 2015
big card majestic

This past Saturday evening Big Card Promotions held an event at the historic Majestic Theatre. Despite having quite a colorful history in its 91-year existence a boxing event had never been held there. And despite Roberto Marroquin’s (24-3, 17 KO’s) theatrics and attempts to sabotage the event and derail the entire production, the show did manage to go on. Marcos Leonardo Jimenez (20-5, 13 KO’s) originally stepped on the scale 2.5 pounds over the contractual super featherweight limit but was given two hours to shed off the excess weight. When he returned and was still 1.25 pounds over he was disqualified from possibly winning the USBA super featherweight belt but negotiations continued to try to salvage the bout. Despite Jimenez offering a morning-of-the-fight weight limit and Big Card Promotions offering twice the purse, Marroquin chose to walk away from a title opportunity and a handsome pay day.

Instead, Christopher Jones (4-1, 3 KO’s) rose to the occasion and shined as he took on veteran Jerome Davis (6-4, 1 KO) in a 6-round middleweight bout in the evenings main event. Davis, who had not been in the squared-circle since 2013, came out showing a good jab and even mixed in the occasional left hook behind it. Jones’ right hand would start to find a home towards the end of the round.

In the second round Davis continued to pump out the jab. A left hook dropped Jones for an 8-count and left him visibly shaken. Davis would continue to find success with the left hook to the head and body. Later on in the round a clash of heads would leave Christopher Jones with blood streaming down his face, something which would urge the younger fighter in the following round.

In the third both men decided to open up and exchanged heavy leather. After a combination Davis would wind up on the floor. He was able to beat the count and found himself on unsteady legs. He was able to survive the round thanks to excessive holding which in turn forced referee Laurence Cole to deduct a point.

The end came when Jerome Davis was unable to come out of his corner for the 4th round due to an injury sustained to his leg in the previous round.

In the opening bout of the evening, Lewisville’s own Erik Gabriel Torres (1-1, 1 KO) notched his first professional victory of his young career by blasting away Chesley Griffin (0-2). Both men took no time introducing each other in the middle of the ring and took turns dishing out punishment. Torres’ solid body attack, however, would be what would push Griffin back as he would utilize both hands to his torso in frequent and violent fashion. The body punishment would open up opportunities for Torres in the 2nd round as his 1-2’s began to land with the occasional overhand right or a southpaw stance overhand left being mixed in.

The referee’s hand was forced as Griffin was unable to answer the call for the beginning of the 3rd round giving Torres the TKO victory.

In an extremely entertaining heavyweight bout between two fighters making their professional debuts, Arthur Parker (1-0) from Weatherford, OK escaped with a Majority Decision victory over James Gray (0-1). Parker showcased quicker speed and a good jab in the opening round and managed to put together some combinations together. The same was seen in the 2nd stanza. But by the 3rd round Gray, who fights out of Weatherford, TX, had finished warming up and was just getting started while Parker visibly looked winded. Straight rights, left-hooks, and counter right hands would carry Gray in the final two rounds of the 4-round bout. In the end, one judge appropriately scored it 38-38 while the other two judges overruled it with scores of 39-37 for Parker.

In other action, Roshaun Jones (1-0, 1 KO) blitzed and easily dispatched an outgunned Oscar Camacho (0-2) in the opening round of a 4-round junior welterweight bout.

Javier Cantu may be reached at Javier.cantu.1984@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *